How to Spend Days with a Parental Allowance

Spread the love

Parents who take parental leave can receive a parental allowance, which is a type of financial compensation that parents receive to take care of their children during the early childhood years. Parental allowance exists to make it easier for new parents to combine work and parenthood. In this article, we will cover how one can transfer days of parental allowance.

This article is based on information available at the time of writing. Because information can change at any time, Indeed cannot guarantee that it is always up to date. Please check local sources to find out the latest on the subject.

What does parental allowance mean?

As mentioned above, parental allowance is financial support for parents who choose to take parental leave to care for their children. Both parents have the right to take parental allowance simultaneously or individually, depending on their preference. Parental allowance can be paid for up to 480 days per child. The amount of parental allowance depends on the parent’s previous income, and the highest compensation that can be paid out is 80% of the previous income.

The Swedish Social Insurance Agency is responsible for paying out a parental allowance, and the funds are tax-free. Parental allowance can only be paid out during the period when the parent is entitled to parental leave. As a parent, you are entitled to full leave, either with or without parental allowance, until the child reaches 18 months. After that, you are only entitled to full leave if you have a full parental allowance. Parental leave is also divided into several different parts, which means that you can receive a parental allowance during the very early days after the child’s birth, when caring for a sick child, in connection with adoption, and more.

For natural reasons, many parents want to stay at home during their child’s early life. This is why parental allowance is a significant part of Sweden’s parental insurance, as it serves as an important support for the majority of parents. In addition to providing financial assistance to those taking parental leave, parental allowance also contributes to a more gender-equal distribution of parenting responsibilities and creates a better balance between work and family life.

How transferring parental allowance days works

Parents who share joint custody of their children have the right to half of the parental allowance days each. However, one parent can choose to transfer days of parental allowance to the other parent, a process known as “transfer of days,” except for the days reserved for each parent. The number of reserved days was extended fro

Transferring parental allowance days in this manner allows the other parent to receive more compensation than they otherwise would have. This can benefit families where, for instance, one parent has a greater need to stay at home with the child than the other. This might be due to one parent’s job being less accommodating toward parental leave or them having a higher income, while the other parent might have more opportunity to stay at home with the child.

However, it’s important to note that the distribution of parental allowance between parents isn’t solely up to them to decide—there are specific rules that must be followed. One parent can choose to completely forego their parental allowance and instead give away all their parental days, except for the 90 reserved days, to the other parent. This transfer must always be approved by the Swedish Social Insurance Agency in advance.

If someone regrets giving away their parental days, they can reclaim them as long as no compensation has been paid out for them yet. The notification to either waive parental allowance or to reclaim it is done online or through a form found on

It’s important for you, as a parent, to carefully consider the potential consequences of transferring your parental days and to examine what impact such a transfer might have before making a decision. Parental allowance can indeed affect other compensations such as sickness benefits or parental allowance supplements.

Who is eligible for the parental allowance?

All parents who have custody of a child in Sweden are entitled to a parental allowance if they are currently taking parental leave to care for the child. Other requirements that must be met to receive a parental allowance are being a resident of Sweden and having been employed for at least 240 days during a consecutive 12-month period before the child’s birth or the time of adoption.

You can therefore receive the parental allowance if

You can therefore receive the parental allowance if

  • You are the parent of the child or have custody of the child
  • You are married or cohabiting with the child’s parents
  • You are at home with your child instead of working, studying, or looking for work
  • You are insured in Sweden
  • The child is resident in Sweden or lives within the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

However, other rules apply if you have a residence permit according to the EU’s mass migration directive. If you have now received a residence permit according to the EU’s mass refugee directive and have a job, you can receive certain allowances from the Social Insurance Agency.

If so, you may be entitled to

  • Worker’s compensation
  • Pregnancy allowance
  • Income-related activity allowance and sickness allowance
  • Rehabilitation, rehabilitation compensation, and contribution to work aids
  • Sickness benefit.

You cannot receive parental benefits or compensation for VAB if your child has a residence permit according to the EU’s mass refugee directive.

What rules apply to parental leave and parental allowance?

When it comes to parental leave and parental allowance, there are several rules that one must adhere to in Sweden. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most important ones.

Right to parental allowance

Entitlement to Parental Allowance To be eligible for the parental allowance, you must have previously been employed or, if you have your own business, have contributed to the social insurance system. During a specific period, you must have also worked for at least 240 hours. This period usually refers to the last six months before the parental leave begins.

Parental Leave during Childbirth

Starting from the 60th day before the estimated delivery date, the mother has the right to take leave. The non-pregnant partner can receive compensation for 10 days of leave in connection with the child’s birth; in the case of expecting twins, the right extends to 20 days. Both parents can also take time off to attend parenting education organized by the Maternity Care Center. They also have the right to take parental allowance simultaneou

Right to Be on Leave with Your Child

You have the right to be 100% off work until the child is one and a half years old. Notification must be made to your employer at least two months before you plan to take parental leave unless otherwise agreed. In connection with your notification, you must also indicate the duration of the intended leave. In total, you have the right to take 480 days of leave per child, during which you can also receive the parental allowance. Compensation can be received until the child turns eight years old.


Size of Parental Allowance

The amount of parental allowance depends, as previously mentioned, on the parent’s previous income. However, the highest compensation that can be paid out is 80% of the previous income, up to a certain limit. You can estimate the approximate compensation you could receive through the “Kassakollen” tool on the Swedish Social Insurance Agency’s website.

Parental Leave and Parental Allowance

As mentioned at the beginning of the article, parental allowance is linked to parental leave and can only be paid out during the same period that the parent is entitled to be on parental leave.

Notification for Parental Allowance

To receive a parental allowance, you must notify the Swedish Social Insurance Agency no later than 60 days after taking parental leave.

Parental Leave Act and Social Insurance Code

The Parental Leave Act (FLL) and the Social Insurance Code (SFB) regulate parental allowance in Sweden. The Parental Leave Act grants parents the right to take time off from their jobs to care for their newborn or adopted child. It also regulates parental allowance and how it is paid out. On the other hand, the Social Insurance Code outlines the benefits and support provided to those who live or work in Sweden, including parental allowance.

Here’s how to apply for parental allowance – step by step

Even before the child is born, specifically 60 days before the estimated delivery date, as a parent, you have the opportunity to take parental allowance to prepare for the child’s arrival. However, before applying for the money, you must first notify us that you will be taking leave. You can notify us at any time, but no later than the same day you want compensation.

To apply for parental allowance, you need to do the following:

  1. Obtain e-identification (BankID, Mobile BankID, or Freja eID+) if you don’t already have it.
  2. Log in to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency’s website with your e-identification.
  3. Go to the parental allowance page and fill out the application form with information about you and your child. You must provide the child’s personal identification number and birthdate, and specify the date you want the parental allowance to start.
  4. If you and your partner want to divide the parental allowance between you, you must also indicate this in the application.
  5. Submit your completed application by clicking the “Submit” button.
  6. After you’ve submitted the application, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency will review it and make a decision on whether you’re entitled to parental allowance and, if so, how much you’ll receive. If the application is complete and all information is correct, you can receive the decision in just a few days.

Remember that it’s important to apply for parental allowance well in advance before you plan to take your leave. This is because it can take a few days or weeks to receive the final decision. The payment of parental allowance also cannot be made until the Swedish Social Insurance Agency has made its decision.

Leave a Comment

Share via
Copy link